Welcome to SCWA!
Writing is often solitary, and it’s so important to find a community of people who support and encourage you. SCWA is that place for you.
Our mission is to support writers—from beginning writers to multipublished authors in every genre—and encourage their quest to write, to finish, and to publish their novels, plays, short stories, essays, and more.
We offer education, networking, resources, and most importantly, support for you and your writing. We care about each other and we show it.
SCWA membership has very special benefits:
- Craft Building—Whether you need help with writing, editing, publishing, or marketing, we cover it all in meetings, seminars, and one-on-one coaching.
- Networking—Our community of accomplished writers and book professionals helps members connect and benefit from their expertise. Ask for help and we will be there for you.
- Events—Our calendar is full of online workshops and author spotlights, with discounts for members, including some member-only events and content.
- Promotion—Build and expand your platform, and showcase your writing, promote your books, and share your knowledge via SCWA’s social media, website, YouTube channel, and anthologies.
SCWA has inspired many writers to realize their dream of writing a story and being published. Bring your dream with you. SCWA will help you make it real.
Active members receive the following benefits:
- A 30% discount on admission to SCWA meetings, which includes an all-you-can-eat lunch. Attend these mini-writer's conferences every month to improve your craft and learn from bestselling authors, professional journalists, screenwriters, mystery writers, poets, and highly sought-after instructors.
- Free monthly SCWA Newsletter that tells about upcoming speakers, reviews past meetings, and gives timely advice on the writing craft.
- Recognition for member achievements at meetings and in the newsletter.
- Scholarships and discounts for select writers' conferences.
- Monthly opportunities to network with publishing pros, journalists, business and PR writers, editors, and published and unpublished authors in all stages of the writing journey.
- Free 30-minute consultation with book shepherd Sharon Goldinger on publishing contracts.
- Participation in SCWA marketing platforms on SouthernCalWriters.org and SCWA social media platforms.
- Access to up-to-date and cutting-edge articles on the craft and the business of publishing.
- The opportunity to receive a critique of your first 20 pages by an SCWA Board Member, available for $20.
- Members-only special events, workshops, and programs.
- Showcasing of your author bio and book promotion on the SCWA website, SouthernCalWriters.org, which also offers speaker information and helpful links.